Friday, April 17, 2009

back to beta blogger

So this is what happened.

Apparently, I've encountered two problems when I was changing to a customized template earlier this afternoon.

1. I've lost my widgets.
These being the gadgets that I had fun placing in, and have come to really love.
I felt as if I've lost my phone and was worrying more of my contacts!

Soooo...
Tip as detailed in blogs when I was trying to find remedy . Learn how to back-up your widgets before changing template.
You can view this page for help.

2. Because of following the instructions from sites indicating tips of "reverting back to classic template", I was at a dead-end because I tried to place into pieces why (1) the templates that I have downloaded were not HTML files but rather XML files, and (2) why when I tried to use such downloaded XML, they do not work (I placed the XML files in notepad, which I pasted and used).

Sooo0... Neophyte at blogger, here's what I learned:

a. Classic template uses HTML, the beta / new one uses XML.
Accordingly, you would know the difference because you will find in the dashboard:
"Template" - Classic
"Lay-out" - Beta / New

b. That you have to choose which template would suit your preference. Classic template is relatively easy and most have been accustomed to it, while the Beta or New template has the widgets as features that you can not use with the Classic template.

c. Unless you have saved your widgets, you have to uncheck the "Expand Widget Templates"
when you are about to change to another template. Otherwise this will completely lose your widgets.


Near hopeless, I wanted to get back to my widgets. Here's what I did:

i. When I was resolved to just work on the template another time, I went to my front page and clicked "Customized".

ii. I was prompted if I wanted to switch back to the new / beta template.
Tadaaa! So this is how you do it afterall. I clicked yes, and I got back my original settings. Good thing i unchecked "Expand to Widgets" when I was at it. My widgets are back to where they are.

iii. I backed-up my widget for safe-keeping.


Soooo... There, I am relieved - very much so. I'm hoping to change on my template though. But maybe some other time. This is too much adventure for me today. :D



Here's my discovery out of the experience> This will surely be the site where I get my future new template > http://www.deluxetemplates.net

0 commentaries:

Post a Comment