Wednesday, July 15, 2009

what the world has come on to

And I find myself Google-ing “How do growth hormones affect adolescents?”


That my niece's, Katryn's assignment. How the hell I survived grade school back then seems to be an amazement to me. Just like my cousin of about 30ish in age equally amazed, or better yet more baffled, when his little four year old Mika asked him, “Daddy, what are chemicals?”


Yep, you read that right, definitely not forty. And just like how I manage it, my cousin had to shamefully tell his little daughter that he'll get back to her as soon as he Google-s it.


I tried answering Katryn that boys get deeper voice, while girls get their menstruation, but that's question number 5! And a simple shrug, and “getting adolescents growing” is rather far from what we anticipate the teacher expecting. God, where, really, are you?


And just like that, Google becomes a verb, much like Coleman = water jug. And the world has come to just about this, driving to four points.


  1. The world has become a whole huge advertisement. If a product is not marketed well enough, people would not have known Google – at all. Now, how can I get myself Google-able... (hhmm)

  2. It's either kids are becoming more intellectual, or we older people are becoming dumber. Yet again, if not for Google, how the hell can you answer your kid straight when they ask you what the hell chemicals are?!

  3. Schools back then, and even know, teach us things we don't normally need when we grow up. We don't need to be correct word for word. As long as I know that a muriatic acid contains chemicals that are strictly not for drinking, then I'll be off well – alive.

  4. If you can't answer your little kid's assignments straight, do you even expect them to ace it?



And now, as I go on fixing my nieces and nephew's lunch boxes, I will be off to sleep, and mentally noting not to Google myself more than you do yourself ;D.


Before I put on my night cap, save yourself the shame and remember a 4th grade school girl's assignment's answer: “They bring about growth and cell reproduction. With this, boys and girls experience growth spurt, and the body begins to change in many ways”.



[and can I just say, God, I'm still looking for you...]

0 commentaries:

Post a Comment